What is the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill became effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where they live and what type of degree they are pursuing. For a summary of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, see the benefit comparison chart.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post- 9/11 GI Bill. 

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by an educational institution in the state where the educational institution is located. For more expensive tuition, a program exists which may help to reimburse the difference. This program is called the “Yellow Ribbon Program”. For more information on the Yellow Ribbon Program click on the link below.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to dependents, for more information see the link below.

Pamphlets and factsheets about the Post-9/11 GI Bill can be found here.

back to top

How does this bill compare to other GI Bills?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill expands the number of people who qualify for education support from the VA. To see specific information about how this benefit compares to other education support bills, please visit

back to top

How much tuition support could I receive if I qualify?

Tuition support is based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by an educational institution in the state where the educational institution is located. To find out what the maximum in-state tuition would be for your state, visit the tuition and fees page.

back to top

What could I receive for a housing allowance if I qualify?

The housing allowance amount payable is determined using the location of the school certifying your enrollment. The amount payable is prorated based on your benefit level (40% to 100%). For more information about the housing allowance, visit the basic allowance for housing page. For those attending foreign schools (schools without a main campus in the U.S.) the BAH rate is fixed at $1,333.00 for 2009.

back to top

My tuition expenses are higher than the in-state maximum tuition listed for where I live. Is there any other form of assistance for me?

Depending on your institution, you may be able to get more assistance via the Yellow Ribbon program. For more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit this page.

back to top

How can I make sure I have the most up-to-date information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

Visit the VA RSS feed for the Post-9/11 I Bill.

back to top

Is there an official announcement letter for the Post-9/11 GI Bill available for Veteran Service Providers?

You can download a PDF file with the official program announcement from here.

back to top

I want to make some basic information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill available to veterans with whom I interact. What should I do?

The Department of Veterans Affairs has put together a pamphlet with a summary description of the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the associated benefits. You can download and print a PDF file of that pamphlet to pass along to veterans from here.

back to top

What is the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)?

Also known as the Veteran's GI Bill of Right, the MGIB is the focal point of military education benefits. It's a monthly benefit for active duty and reserve service members and veterans that's valued at nearly $40,000. It was created in 1944 when President Franklin Roosevelt signed the then termed Servicemen's Readjustment Act.

back to top

Who is eligible to earn GI Bill funds?

Generally speaking, you can qualify to earn funds if you have served at least 2 years on active duty, if you have graduated high school or possess an equivalency certificate before you apply for benefits, and if you contribute $100 a month for the first 12 months you are in active duty. However, your eligibility and the amount of money for which you qualify depends on a number of distinct factors. For details on eligibility, please visit GIBill.com or theVA.

back to top

How much money can I earn under the VA GI Bill?

The education benefit for the Veteran' GI Bill can be worth over $47,556. This amount is based on the 2008-2009 monthly full-time student payment rate of $1,321 with a 36-month limit. This means you should have 8 semesters of coverage to satisfy your academic pursuits. The payment rate automatically increases on the first of October each year.

back to top

What can MGIB money be used for?

Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, this tax-free benefit can be used for any expenses related to education or training while earning a graduate or undergraduate degree, professional and trade school certification, or attending flight school. Such covered expenses can include--but are not limited to--tuition and fees, books, and relocation and living expenses.

back to top

When should I use my GI Bill benefits?

Your benefits are eligible for use after 2 years of service. However, it makes more sense to save your money and use it after you've completed active duty simply because the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs applies the GI Bill differently for active duty and veteran service members. You should only use them during active duty as "GI Bill Top-up" benefit in conjuction with your active duty Tuition Assistance benefit.

back to top

Can I transfer my MGI Bill benefits to a spouse or dependent?

The National Defense Authorization Act has made it possible to transfer your unused VA GI Bill benefits to one or more dependents. You are required to have completed 6 years of active duty and agree to an additional 4 years. Critical military skills are also taken into consideration for benefit transfer eligibility and are decided on a case-by-case basis.

back to top

What other benefits are available through the new "Post-9/11 GI Bill?"

The new educational benefits for service members completing 90 or more days of active duty since Sept. 10, 2001 include 100 percent tuition and fee coverage, a monthly housing stipend, a book stipend, benefits transfer opportunities, a relocation allowance, the Yellow Ribbon Program, and licensing and certification exams.

back to top

How do I apply for the Montgomery GI Bill?

Find a school that offers VA-approved education and training programs. Complete the Application for Education Benefits, VA Form 22-1990. Send in your application to the VA Regional Processing Office. Once your benefits checks begin arriving, complete the VA's Web Automated Verification of Eligibility (WAVE) process to continue to receive them.

back to top

Anonymous - Philadelphia, PA

"I am the wife of a Viet Nam Veteran. My husband started going to PVMSEC 10 years ago for help. No mere words could ever express how much his life and in turn our family life has changed for the better in those years. I am and always will be grateful for the wonderful care he has received at the Philadelphia Veterans Multi-Service Center & Education Center."

star-imageour supportersstar-image

  • PNC Foundation
  • logos
  • logos
  • logos
  • Comcast-Foundation
  • logos
  • Lockheed Martin
  • Vanguard
  • General Electric
  • Jefferson Logo 4C HP tag 200x54
  • LincolnFinancialFoundation
  • pepperlogo

  • PSLG
  • Independence Blue Cross 351x74